Sunday, April 4, 2010

Burn out and getting back in the groove

It has been almost 2 months since I posted here. What have I been up to?

Burn out. One thing I've discovered about myself is that I need a break after my "A" races. Last year after the 1/2 AquaBike, I was done. I was not interested in training and didn't care about the next race. The same thing happened after my 10K, I was d-o-n-e. I didn't want to run again. Ever. I was also not terribly interested in riding. I was doing the Cinderella Ride training series and "dropped out." Which was unfortunate since I was supposed to be getting ready for my first 100K ride, the Cinderella Classic, on April 10th. After two weeks of wallowing in burn out it was time to get moving again.

Getting back in the groove. With the Cinderella ride and the Mermaid Run (yes, my life is a Disney movie) approaching, I had to start doing something. A month before the ride I finally had a plan that involved long rides every weekend and time on the trainer.

The first back-in-the-saddle ride was with fellow Mermaids Jill and Wilma, 40 miles. We rode from Wilma's house to Uvas Reservoir and back. It was beautiful with all of spring greenery.


The next weekend, 50 miles with Diane, Lisa, Jim, and Sara as SAG. I planned a lovely route from Uvas Reservoir, across the valley, up the east hill to Gilroy Hot Springs, and back to Uvas. I went into the ride with trashed, sore legs so it was a little more challenging than I planned.


Heading up to Gilroy Hot Springs. Note the climb in the distance.


A view of the valley.


Done!

After an "ice bath" in the reservoir my legs were feeling much better.

And, then there was this Saturday, the 60 mile ride. After last weeks ride I was kind of dreading this ride. I am amazed that with each ride more people were willing to come along. There were six wonderful Mermaids on this ride. This time I came up with a route that included only hills that I knew I could climb. ;-)

Photos courtesy of Diane, I was too busy pedaling.


At a rest stop with Lisa. Making sure I don't "bonk."


Beautiful winter grass on the Peninsula.


The Supastar Mermaids near the end!

I'm still in awe of how far we rode yesterday, from my place to Woodside and back. I RODE TO WOODSIDE and back. The more I ride the more I'm amazed at how close things really are. Or, maybe I'm impressed at how far I can ride. I can't decide.

Next week the Cinderella Classic 100K (65 miles)!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Good job! Wish I was there. Can't wait for next week.

singleone said...

You inspire me! I did my first race around the Santa Cruz wharf and want to participate in more events...maybe even a triathlon. :-)