Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

While many people were celebrating Labor Day with BBQs, trips to the beach, general merriment, I decided to be active everyday of the three day weekend. And, not just a little active, but I did some significant stuff.

Saturday: Epic Swim
On Saturday morning, bright and early, I headed to Santa Cruz with a bunch of friends to join Molly on her 1.5 hour open water swim. The plan was to swim around the wharf. Twice. Swimming around the wharf isn't my favorite thing in the whole world. The water is salty and filled with bacteria. There are sea lions that bark and come to close. The water can be cold with spots of colder. But Molly is training for an ironman, so if she needs swimmers I'm there. Especially, if we get to go out to breakfast afterwards.

I took control of Molly's rad waterproof camera:

Most of the group at the end of the wharf, 1/4 of the way done.


Molly coming in to the 1/2 way point.


I really had fun with the camera.


Swimming buddies

Molly's new Garmin produced this image:

Good sighting!

Sunday: Climb a Mountain
Two of my swimming buddies (A and N) who also ride wanted to conquer Old La Honda Road. Really? 3.35 miles, 1290 feet, 3-18% grade, with an average of 7.3%? Really? Are you sure? I decided to give it a try. I figure I can make it up almost an incline if I can stop. So, we headed out. "A" reminded me to keep my heart rate down and just keep pedaling. I completed the first mile and then took a break. "A" hung back with me for the first mile and "N" came back to find us and took over babysitting duty for mile 2. Mile 2 was the hardest part and I didn't make it the full 2nd mile before stopping. We eventually found "A" and finished the last mile together. Oof. There was a lot of swearing and giving my friends a hard time. But we made it to the top!


At the top getting ready to go back down.

Going up killed my legs but going down killed my hands! OOOW! Heading back the car we had a great descent before a big hill so I used gravity to my advantage and flew down the hill. (later when I looked my max speed was 33.5 mph.) It was funny and scary at the same time. Thanks to " A" and "N" for getting me up the mountain! I really think we need some "Wave Swimming Cycling Team." ;-)

Monday: Family Fun Ride
Mom, Dad, Sara, and I met in Monterey for a fun ride on the Monterey Bay Coast Recreation Trail. (or, something like that.) It was a little dicey riding the rec trail through the touristy areas of Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf. Once we got past the crowds it was a nice ride. Beautiful weather, good conversation, and a nice spin for my legs.


Practicing my photography while riding skills.


Mad rear photography skillz.


The Triumphant Red Hot Johnsons.

Happy Labor Day!!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Great job! You kicked ass this weekend :) And really, this is what it's all about, right? Being active and making it fun?!