Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"You don't trust your legs."

My coach said this to me yesterday. And, you know what, she's right, I don't trust my legs. I'm not exactly sure why I don't but I have a few ideas.

#1 When I was 6 I walked through a sliding glass door and ended up with a knee full glass. They didn't get all of the glass out and I have scar tissue in my knee. It took awhile for the knee to heel and I learned to "baby" my knee. Doctors has told me that the body has an amazing ability to adjust from childhood injuries and that the old injury probably doesn't have anything to do with current pain.

#2 As a kid I would frequently "turn" my ankle when I ran. Not sprain it, just kinda twist it.

#3 My weight. I still have a significant amount of weight to loose and its hard on the joints. All of the joints.

#4 In November 2007, I tried running, my knees started to hurt, and I was diagnosed with Patellofemoral Syndrome. (aka kneecaps that slide around.)

#5 In fall of 2008, I tried running again and my feet, knees, and back started to hurt.

Gee, I wonder why I don't I trust my legs? However, I just did a 10K where I ran twice as much as I walked. So, I guess I will give try to give the legs another chance.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yeah...I don't trust my legs or arms. But we are working through it with therapy (AKA Heidi core torture).