Monday, May 11, 2009

Time Management

When I first got my training calendar one of my first thoughts was, "I'm going to do nothing but train until August. I'm not going to see my friends for 3 months." A little dramatic, ya think? And, I've been struggling with fitting in my workouts on weeknights. I have my little routines and it is oddly hard trying to change my schedule.

On Friday, I decided it was time to be a big girl and make the workouts fit in to my schedule. Sunset isn't until 8ish. I just need to do some planning to make sure I have dinner, fit a ride in at lunch, pick days to do dishes, or wun in the morning. I can make it work!

On Friday I had a brick, 1 hour ride, 20 minute run, on the calendar. I didn't have any plans Friday night so it wasn't going to be a big deal. Then J called, "Wanna go see X-Men Origins: Wolverine tonight?" Ah. . . Um. . . Eye-candy . . . But. . . Hugh . . . I . . . have . . . a brick . . . Yes! I can make this work, the brick is only 1 hour and 20 minutes. I left work a little early, quickly changed, let Jemma 'hurry', grabbed my bike and headed out on the Los Gatos Creek Trail. I had a good hour ride and tried not to focus on time too much. I rolled back to the apartment, grabbed Jemma and headed out for the wun. (I like wunning in the morning better when there is no one out in the neighborhood.) Got back, jumped in the shower, dressed, ran out of the house, let my hair air dry, and made it to the theater before J & M. Phew. I did it. I did my workout and saw my friends. It is possible!

This week the big challenge will be a noontime ride on Wednesday and a mid-day brick on Thursday. It is possible and I only have to do this until August. That's only 12 weeks.

12 weeks????!!!!

No comments: