Sunday, June 7, 2009

2009 Mermaid Tri Fremont Race Report

Sorry, never got around to posting a race plan last night. Oh well.

Goals:
1. Finish the swim in less than 7 minutes.
2. Have fun on the bike.
3. Run the whole run.
4. Finish around 1:30.

Got to the race super early and got a nice spot on the end of the bike rack. Had about 2 hours until my wave started so plenty of time to hang out with friends and take a pic or two. Luckily, Super-Spectathlete Molly was there to document the day. (Thanks Molly!)

Sara, me, and Heather

After watching Julia, Lauren, and Riley run in the Mini-Mermaid Run (1.5 miles for girls 6-12) it was time to get in the water.



Finally, it was time to go!


(I'm somewhere in the front.)

Wow. The 30 - 39 year olds are fast! I stuck with the group for quite awhile, past the first buoy. When I dove into the water I hit the water kinda hard and ended up with a goggle full of water. I tried swim with the water in my goggle but finally gave up, took a break, and empty the water. I calmed down and hit my pace about halfway through the swim. Then it was over and I ran for the timing mat which was nice and close to the shore. :-)



I had a pretty quick transition since I didn't wear a wetsuit. I put on my socks and shoes, grabbed the bike and headed out. It was a really nice bike course closed to traffic, mostly flat, with one no passing zone on a bridge over the BART tracks. I turned on my bike computer so I could see my average time. I wasn't sure what to expect and was very happy when I saw that I was averaging a little over 15 mph. I had a really good time on the bike. It was fun going fast and passing people for a change. I had some time to think about why I do this tri stuff and the best answer I could come up with is: I enjoy the sense of accomplishment and people clapping for me.


So fast, Molly couldn't focus.

Next up, the run. My favorite part! Not. I walked out of transition to get my legs and started running when I hit the timing mat. I decided not to wear my watch which turned out to be a good thing. I knew the route from last year and just kept running. And, running. And running.



As I got closer to the finish, I started thinking about the finish which is on the sand and then up a small hill. Oof. I was pretty tired. I hit the sand and got up on my toes and kept running. it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Lauren and Julia joined me for the finish and I yelled for Riley to come, too.





And, the power finish!!



I am so happy with my race! I pushed hard and had a good time. Molly guessed that I met my goal of around 1:30. Yes!


Sara and I at the finish

And, my sad, lonely transition. It cracked me up so I took a pic.


And, the results! (with last year's time)
Swim: 7:07 (9:44) Missed my goal by 7 seconds. drat.
Bike: 36.33 (50:19) Had a great time and felt strong and fast.
Run: 40:47 (43:35) Ran the whole way!
Total time: 1:32:09 (1:53:23) Finished around 1:30.

Had a great day with great friends and family! Thanks to everyone I raced with and who came out to watch me huff, puff, and sweat.

4 comments:

Jessica H-K said...

Yay yay yay Missy! Thanks for the updates and the fabulous pictures!!!!!

Meredith said...

Congrats! What a great day, I am so impressed. All of that training has really paid off. And BTW you look fabulous in the mermaid top, so glad you wore it. Wish I could have been there to cheer you on!

Jill said...

That is an AMAZING improvement! Congratulations. You are so going to dominate aquabike!

Maria said...

congrats on the awesome finish! dropping 20 minutes off a time is really impressive! way to train hard!