Thursday, June 25, 2009

6/25 - Ride 2:20 followed by :20 run or walk

But, its Thursday. But, I swam this morning. But, I have to work. But, it's a school night. But, who's gonna cook dinner. But . . . . .

*sigh* Okay, let's try and turn this around or its going to be a miserable 2:20 hours.

#1 - Find a new route. I checked mapmyride for some ideas. Since this was a brick I wanted to start and end at the apartment so that I could change shoes and grab the dog. I wanted to try Foothill Expressway because a lot of cyclists like it and it has a nice big wide shoulder. So, I found a route from my place to Foothill.

#2 - Figure out the best setting for the bike computer. Having it set for time keeps me looking to see how much longer and on a 2:20 ride that would drive me nuts. Setting it for mileage also has me checking it all the time. So, I decided on my average speed.

Headed out at 5:30pm and had to make a quick pit stop at Pam's 'cause I didn't want to disturb the dog. I set the bike computer for average speed and told myself I could check the time when I got to the intersection of Shilling and Homestead. When I got there it had been 45 minutes. Pretty good. I continued on with the goal of turning around at 1:15. I thought I would gain some time on the way back due to elevation and wind. Foothill Expressway is a great road to ride on. Big wide shoulder. Few intersections. Smooth. Great! I turned around at Arastradero at 1:19. I made it all the way to Arastradero?! Oh my god! I was so amazed I had to call Sara.

Then it was time to head back. I was a little tired of being in the saddle but had to get home. It took longer to get back than I thought so I played a little game of counting intersections. It worked and I made it home!

Then it was time for the :20 run or walk. It was a walk. The post long ride top-of-foot-pain was pretty bad. Jemma and I walked for 20 minutes to cool down the legs. Ahhh . . . home at 8:30pm. Good thing it's summer.

Time: 2:31:59
Distance: 30.36 miles
Average: 12 mph

2 comments:

Jill said...

Awesome job! What was the route you took to get to Foothill?

Meredith said...

Great job! Sound slike the training is going really well.