Friday, June 26, 2009

6/26 - Ride 1:45 (and bonus swim around the wharf)

After yesterday's 2 hours and 20 minutes? No problem. Well, except for my clickidy-clackity gears. I don't know what happened but my easier gears are clicking and clacking and dropping all over the place. Basically, I have about three gears that don't make me nervous. I'll be stopping by the local bike shop tomorrow morning to see what is going on.

Okay, on to the ride with 3 gears. I headed out at 2:00 and it was kinda hot. I decided to ride to the Los Gatos Creek Trail (LGCT), find my way to Highway 9 and ride down it until it was time to turn around. The LGCT had much fewer people on it this afternoon, I didn't have to say, "on your left" a zillion times. Nice. I ran into a group of four boys (12-14?) on their mountain bikes. It was kinda cute. They were all wearing their helmets and having fun going off some jumps and riding together. The only problem was that they got in front of me, went a little too slow, and rode 2 and 3 abreast. I hung back for awhile and took a little break. The we came upon a group of three girls (junior high-ish) on their bikes. Riding with their helmets hanging from the handlebars. Tsk, tsk, tsk. The boys and I passed them. When I passed I heard one of the girls complaining, "how much further?" and another respond, "oh my god, we haven't been riding very long." Again, cute. I wish I was on summer vacation.

I eventually found my way to Highway 9. First I turned the wrong way from Blossom Hill and then ended up on N. Santa Cruz. I don't recommend N. Santa Cruz too much traffic. I almost took a tumble but thanks to my mad unclipping skills I caught myself. When I finally got to Highway 9 my lack of gears got to be really annoying. I made it to the intersection with Quito and wasn't sure when I would be able to turn around again so I turned back. This time I skipped N. Santa Cruz and tried University Avenue. Much better.

As I was heading home with the clickidy-clackity gears I thought about stopping at the LBS but remembered that I needed to get on the road to Santa Cruz. I went straight home. While I was riding I checked my time 1:30. 1:30! I rode long again? How did that happen? It happened because I forgot that I was supposed to do 1:45. No doy. I must have been thinking about my ride tomorrow. :-}

I had a quick rest and ice my sore foot. (&*@$#%!) Gathered all my stuff and joined the Friday traffic over 17 to Santa Cruz. I met up with Molly and Chris for Molly's inaugural swim around the wharf. Woot! The water was warmer than last time and it was pretty calm. We had a nice swim around the wharf with no sea life joining us and not too much seaweed. Molly had a great swim and beat the time she was expecting.

One more workout until Restday.

No comments: