Friday, February 13, 2009

Bike Shopping - Day 1

I had the day off and decided to start my quest for a new bike. Thanks to a generous benefactress cost is a little less of an issue. :-)

I started my journey at La Dolce Velo in San Jose. Coach Heidi suggested I start there and ask a lot of questions. I did and they were very helpful and answered all my first time bike shopper questions like, "what's the deal with carbon?" and "are wheels important? and "what is with the shifters and brakes together?" I tried three bikes made of the three major materials.

Steel:
Link
Felt very smooth, gears were easy to change. It was a size to small for me. I couldn't tell on the trainer but once I was out on the road I did feel kinda of scrunched up. The pedals had toe clips and I almost got stuck and fell over, but wiggled my foot out just in time.

Aluminum with carbon front fork and rear:

Well, first there was the saddle. Oof, a little narrow and hard, but I know that can be changed. I tried not to focus on the seat and how far forward I was leaning and focus on the feel of the frame. I could feel the vibration in my hands that I have heard about. But it wasn't bad. I assume I would get used to the vibration.

Carbon:

Felt good, again very smooth. But I'm not sure what felt smooth the ride or the gears.

When they asked which I liked better I had trouble deciding. They all felt so different from my current hybrid bike. (which Coach Heidi recently named, The Thing) I did like the carbon, but I know I probably can't afford it. The aluminum/carbon was good, except for the saddle. Of the two I can afford, I think I'm leaning towards the steel. And, for some reason I kinda like the idea of steel. It sounds so strong and real.

Overall, a good experience. I didn't decide anything but I have some information. I know a little more about materials, components, and my size. And, depending on the bike, even though I'm tall, the women's version maybe better.

The biggest thing I learned today about bikes. It depends.

No comments: