Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bike Shopping - Day 3

Can someone just pick out the right bike for me? Please? No, really, I mean it. I swear choosing a bike is more difficult than picking out a car.

Today I visited a different bike shop. For the first time I was measured and it turns out I have pretty good proportions and I fit a 57/58 cm bike. I tried two bikes and couldn't feel a remarkable difference. I rode them around a nearby neighborhood for about 15 minutes each. I was hoping to narrow down to my top three and take those out for a longer ~5 mile ride. But maybe I need to ride every bike that far.

The Orbea:

Very smooth, made good clicking sounds. I really want to love this bike purely because they are made on a commune in Spain. However, I just realized that the shop gave me a carbon frame to try when I can only afford the alloy/carbon frame. Hmmmm . . . not sure what to think of that.

Here's the one in my price range:


Then I tried a Giant:
Again, nice smooth ride and super quiet. My first reaction was that I liked this one better. The one I tried had lower end gear and shifting components.

If I go with a Giant it would be this one:


Maybe my problem with feeling the difference between the bikes is that the position is a big change for me and the seats hurt!

Stay tuned . . . more shopping tomorrow.

2 comments:

jennabul said...

I understand about the seat hurting...you get used to it after awhile...kinda like breaking your eye sockets into a pair of Swedish goggles...after a while, it doesn't hurt so much when you put them on. Good luck! I love my Giant...but the triple chain tends to rub in the some of the lower gears...I hope you get a bike soon...Jenn

blondeez said...

Are you up for another round on Saturday? I'll come along and ask you a gazillion questions about how the different bikes feel and either help or completely drive you crazy.

Your stories sound like wedding dress shopping. "How will I know when it's *the one*?" Of course you know how I picked my dress--it was on clearance! :P