Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bike Shopping - Day 5

The Last Day.

But first, I began the day with a 6am swim. I'm working on pushing myself harder and did 6 x 100s on 1:45.

Okay, back to the shopping. Rain was predicted for late today so I was super motivated to get going on the shopping. Frankly, I couldn't take too much more thinking and test riding. My goal was to narrow down my top three and make a decision. The 2008 of my favorite (but out of my price range) from Day 4 was on sale in Santa Cruz, so the goal was to get over the hill to test two bikes before the rain started in the afternoon. My SIL and tri buddy, S, left Daly City at 8am on Saturday so I would have someone to bounce thoughts, doubts, and excitement off.

We made it to the first stop just after they opened the doors. We went for a long ride on the Giant Defy 1. As we headed out I realized that S hadn't used the integrated shifting before. Whoops! But she's a quick learner, so it was all good. We rode on old crumbling streets, new smooth street, in traffic, out of traffic, up a hill (without stopping) and down a hill. It was a nice ride until I dropped my chain off the chain ring in the middle of turning left in a busy intersection. I'm sure that was purely user error. I liked the Giant, but didn't love it.

Then it was on to stop two. There S and I tried out matching 2008 Specialized Roubaixs:
We went for a loooong test ride on the west side of Santa Cruz. Again, we did crappy roads, nice roads, up hill (woot!), down hill, in traffic, with dogs, surfers, and tourists. We just kept going and going and going. I took this a good sign. I was still a little worried. This is a big investment for me and I am going to have a very intimate relationship with this piece of equipment. I was a little freaked out about whether I was making a good decision. But I finally decided that this was the most comfortable bike in my price range and it was time to go for it. So, I ran to the bank to transfer some money and bought it.

Meanwhile, S, was tooling around on some fancier bikes. :-)

Then . . . they started the fitting. My flexibility was very impressive. (who knew?) As he fitted the bike, he noticed that I was preferred a position with a fairly long stem. He said, "I think you need a 58." (I was on a 56.) "We have a 58, but its a different color. Do you like the color?"

Me: "Yes!! I prefer that color." In real life it is a little darker blue than the image. The fit is better and I'm more comfy and have more position options when I ready to take advantage of my flexibility and get lower. I also got a lesson in proper stopping and starting. I will be doing some practicing in the school parking lot across the street from my place.

The decisions aren't over. Next up: shoes, pedals, computer, new color-coordinated helmet(?), and probably some other stuff. There seems to be a never ending list of accessories for the bike.

YAY!!!!

No comments: